Sunday, December 21, 2008

Comment on a Puncak Traverse

What a joy to read John's splendid post of the Puncak traverse! John and Jody have opened my eyes to some alternative routes that I have never explored since I began walking the foothills in 1991. Sorry I couldn't join you that day but thanks for the invite.

I now link back to a 30 October posting about the C3 detour on my blog. Your journal illuminates an important alternative exit for route C3. After climbing from the ex-outpost (point C) to Pr Mandalawangi and reaching point D, one can return to point B by way of Gn Joglo, as you have done. This circuit would be less hazardous than the ascent to the Puncak and would bring one back to the Start. Further, I remain curious about the path leading up Gn Gegerbenteng from the saddle point on Pr Mandalawangi, mentioned on 30 Oct. The path was not there some years ago when I passed this way. Given the deteriorating conditions on the Gn Gegerbenteng traverse, I would not be surprised if the locals have opened a new traverse higher up the mountain. I look forward to exploring this alternative myself next year, if someone else does not get there first.

I am curious about your route beyond point B. In your place, I would probably have gone from point B to point A, then turned left on the stone road and contoured around the upper end of the tea plantation, where you seem to have ended up anyway. Which of these routes looks preferable to you?

At the rate you guys are going, you'll soon finish trekking the ring route in sectors B, C, D, and E. You are innovating as you go along. How'd you like to write a guidebook to the ringroute in those 4 sectors, with photos and GPS coordinates?

No comments: